Sunday, October 05, 2008

Geneva Homecoming


Even though I am officially a Geneva Alumnus, I rarely think of myself like that. This past Saturday however, I was proud to be a Geneva-ite as I celebrated with my family the dedication of the new Press Box at the stadium.


For many years my grandparents (pictured above with some kid named Matt...) have let us youngins' know that we would recieve no inheritance from them when they died, and that instead they would like to spend their money on us while they are alive. They have meant every word of this, as they have been more generous to us than than we could have ever imagined.


They announced to the family a few years ago that they were starting a partnership with Geneva (my grandfather is class of '43) in order to build a new press box for the stadium there. This came to fruition this past weekend during the dedication. All of the Pittsburgh Hughes' were there to celebrate and it was fantastic. Great weather, great food... you'll see below, and a great chance to see my grandparents smile a ton. The kids were well behaved (always a concern with my grandparents around) and had lots of fun together running around the field with noise makers, and all was well with the world.


I've posted these pictures a little backwards, but before the festivities at Geneva, we ate lunch at one of Grandpa's favorite resteraunts, Bernies. Aparently it's the only local place (if Beaver Falls is considered local) to get good BBQ according to him. So, BBQ, onion rings, and milk shakes were enjoyed by everyone! A great time was had by all...


And yes, this is a picture of my grandfather drinking a milkshake...

1 comment:

ml said...

I remember before one of Grandpa's 100th or so by-pass surgeries, he asked for a chocolate milkshake and hot dog from Dairy Queen. Close friend Roy McHugh was AGHAST that he would eat something so unhealthy, but Grandpa declared that if it was his last meal he was darned sure it would be something he liked! That was probably 20 years ago and apparently he still figures that's the way to live :)